The Digital Trap
(For the Writing in a Non-Academic Genre assignment, I decided to write a blog post. I decided to do this because I can see it being something I do in the future.)
The Digital Trap: How the Media Takes Advantage of Us
In a world where the access to any information is at reach of our fingertips, I think I still underestimate the power in which modern media has over me. From differing news articles to the number one shows on Netflix that have us binge-watching, the digital genre has captured us all in one way or another. As all-consuming as it sounds, it hasn’t all been horrifying. In a sense, the media we consume is what makes us, well, us. It forms our perceptions on certain topics, and even has the ability to completely shape our beliefs. But how can we allow media to be a guide, rather than a monster; and what is it that holds us so close? In this blog, I will be exploring ideas as to how exactly media takes advantage of us, even if we don’t quite realize it.
Whether most media outlets choose to admit it our not, have a primary goal of acquiring views, likes, and clicks; and in turn, money. Even if a story is true, there is always opportunists to who insert some sort of misleading clickbait within the headline, or misinformation throughout the source. Exaggerating these news stories give media outlets a place to catch our attention rapidly, and almost invoke some sort of emotional reaction. Personally, I have experienced my fair share of media influence, having grown up from the very beginning of the social media age. From a young age, I remember seeing the internet as a place with every answer, at any given time, and it is all the truth. Every corner has what you need, and can be trusted. It wasn’t until my preteen age that I realized that it was actually just a selfish game, made to keep us invested. The more time I gave the media, the larger the decrease in mental health and personal satisfaction. The consistent exposure to devastating news, idealized lifestyles, people on one end of the earth starving, while billionaires get to go to space for fun. The media typically shows the highlights of an individuals lives- therefore, we are exclusively viewing their “best selves”. This can lead to feelings of inadequacy, pressure for perfection, and the quick pace of keeping up. When I experience this, I suffer burnout and stress. A study explored by the American Psychological Association recovered a newfound connection between social media users and increased rates of depression and anxiety, particularly in the lives of young adults. I fear how the ever-changing acceleration of media will incapsulate the minds of future generations, comparing to what we are seeing so early in the era of digital connection.
Social media platforms also program the use of algorithmic layouts, determining what content we are more likely to see. The algorithms are designed to keep the user engaged in the platform, typically by showing us content it believes will align with our interests and values (based on what we have searched and viewed in the past). While this does ensure for a more personalized experience, it also leads to narrow minded views, and a lack of representation and diversity. Most things run through a media filter, determining what can and can’t be shared, but it isn’t uncommon for this to hinder our critical thinking by only providing one-sided views. I feel this unfortunately contributes to political diversion, and a lack of empathy between polarizing sides. I often have a sense of distrust when I think about social media in this sense, as we have reached a period of extremes. In these cases, commonalities are conspiracy theories and disrespectful social discourse. I have firsthand experienced my fair share of internet randos who were exclusively unkind to me with the intention to be malicious and cause emotional pain. This loss of trust can have dangerous consequences within the growth and spread of misinformation.
While the media has its benefits from keeping the world connected, there can be some scary implications provided on the side. As a society we tend to look at others around us to follow the world and how it works, as well as determine “correct” behavior. We like to follow what others do, it is a safety mechanism to protect ourselves and our digital footprint. There is a certain bandwagon effect that comes with the growth of social media, which amplifies our desire to adopt certain habits simply because others online are doing it. This shapes trends and social norms, but it is so fascinating how violent the shift became when we all became so accessible to each other. I do this thing, where I will “unlike” something if I notice it hasn’t been viewed or liked by many people. “I can’t be the only one, right? Geez, I’ll seem like a stalker”. I think to myself. But the rapid spread of misinformation will only expand. A Science article stated that misinformation spreads much vaster and faster than valid arguments on social media, all devoted to hopping on the bandwagon.
The media unfortunately can be used as a weapon that has the ability to shape our entire being and behaviors. If we can better understand and acknowledge the tactics that are used to consume us, we can help ourselves recognize the accuracy of the post, and thinking before we comment or share. Recognizing the trigger is extremely important when it comes to seeing a post that may be considered rage-bait. Staying particularly aware of what emotions this content is looking to invoke will help us break the cycle of media manipulation. Allow us to foster a more informed and intelligent society, and protect each other in this scary thing called life, that we are all experiencing for the first time. I hope we can all try our best to stay diligent, remain logistical, and remember that not all media deserves my undying attention.
Stay smart, stay sweet, & stay tuned
Xoxo Hailey
Comments
Post a Comment